The water and sanitation program helps communities obtain adequate supplies of safe water and sanitation facilities by drilling new borehole wells, repairing existing wells, developing spring and rainwater catchments, providing water storage, building community filtration systems, and constructing household latrines, refuse dumps, and surface water drainage systems. These initiatives become sustainable as community members are trained to repair and maintain pumps and water sources, and serve on water and sanitation committees that oversee community improvements. They also initiates hygiene education for children and adults, including proper hand and face washing to prevent disease. For the minimum time of 2 weeks, we are looking for Probono Consultants for Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (Wash) Project.
Type: Knowledge Transfer (Probono)
Online Project: No
Location: Fort Portal, Uganda
Minimum Stay: 2 weeks
Max. No. of Volunteers: 20
Project focus: Community Development, Capacity Building; Architecture, Construction; Health, Medical Care
SDG: 06 Clean Water and Sanitation
- Ensure that water, sanitation, and hygiene project, programs, and awareness are implemented effectively, professionally, and in accordance with the culture and practices of the local population.
- Help in the Construction and Renovation of Boreholes and water wells.
- Advising the project team in water, sanitation and hygiene promotion programming, in broad coordination with other sectors
- Provide Technical Advice and skills to the WASH team in water.
- Assisting in the preparation of proposals and Grant writing for WASH Projects funding.
- Evaluating the relevance and appropriateness of current and future programming in relation to water, sanitation and hygiene promotion in the local context.
- Assisting in the preparation of the WASH proposals and Grant writing for WASH Projects funding.
- Fundraise for the WASH projects using “CROWD FUNDING” Approach.
- No specific qualifications or previous experience is required to join the WASH Volunteer project.
However, volunteers with special expertise are highly preferred.
- Participants at all levels of experience can contribute valuable help to these projects;
- Participants should bring both enthusiasm and humility to their projects.
- Volunteers are expected to be independent and creative, bring ideas to the table, be respectful to organization leadership and work collaboratively.
- Volunteers should have compassion, patience and a dedication to improve lives of people.
- Volunteers are expected to be creative, develop and implement effective workshop plans, be able to improvise and work flexibly, take Initiative and make Decision, are culture responsiveness, show gender awareness, dynamic, creative and innovative, have Empathy, are Result oriented, a quick learner and good communicator, organisational understanding, have coaching and mentoring skills, are team player and team builder, be good in Planning and Organizing
- Show compliance to Foundation ‘s values, mission and goals
- The Foundation accepts students, graduates, professionals, families, couples, and retirees.
- The Foundation welcomes volunteers of all ages and backgrounds who are hard-working and dedicated to make a difference in the lives of individuals and the community.
Cost & Services
We offer you the possibility to engage yourself in a culturally and professionally challenging environment. Besides giving something back to the world; you get an excellent opportunity to further develop your personality and intercultural competence. We find a social project that perfectly matches your qualifications and preferences; prepare you for your new assignment; guide you before and during your volunteering experience, help to fundraise your mission and following up on your achievements once you get home. For this service we charge 1.600 Euro (net).
In short: We will make sure that all you need for a successful mission is provided to you!
or how this project makes a difference:
Long Term aim (desired impact):
Our water, sanitation, and hygiene efforts are part of a full plan that addresses the many factors that perpetuate poverty. Water is fundamental, but we don’t stop there. Our long-term, comprehensive model investing in Kahangi community also works to ensure sustainable improvements in health, education, economic development and food and agriculture production. All WASH programes are designed to contribute to the Millennium Development Goal for water and sanitation
The overall goal of Foundation’s water and sanitation projects is to improve the health and socio economic well-being of communities by reducing the incidence of water- and sanitation-related diseases through sustainable safe water, sanitation, and hygiene practices. Projects achieve this goal through four objectives:
• Increase access to sustainable, safe water and environmental sanitation for poor and vulnerable communities
• Reduce the prevalence of WASH-related diseases, including Bilharzias (contracted from contaminated water), trachoma, Guinea worm, and diarrheal diseases, through the promotion of personal hygiene and environmental practices
• Increase sustainability by promoting integrated water resources management at the local level, with a focus on maintaining the quantity and quality of drinking water
• Foster a new model of partnership and institutional synergy to ensure technical excellence, programmatic innovation, and long-term financial, social, and environmental sustainability in water management that can be replicated elsewhere
Communities that are most vulnerable and have the least access to water and sanitation are chosen to receive WASH interventions. The Foundation also works with community leaders to ascertain that residents are committed to helping to construct and maintain WASH facilities.
Short Term aim (desired output for the individual volunteer coming):
Our water, sanitation, and hygiene efforts are part of a full plan that addresses the many factors that perpetuate poverty. Water is foundational, but we don’t stop there. Our long-term, comprehensive model investing in Kahangi community also works to ensure sustainable improvements in health, education, economic development and food and agriculture production. All WASH programs are designed to contribute to the Sustainable Development Goal No 6 for water and sanitation.
Accommodation on arrival:
Accommodation is provided at the hotel on the first day of the volunteer’s arrival in case the volunteer arrives late in the afternoon or in the night. This accommodation will cost extra but it is not expensive (expect to pay approximately 28 euros per night including breakfast. The fee will be paid directly to the hotel.
Project is closed: During the weekend, volunteers have spare time and usually just relax or take the opportunity to explore some tourist attraction around Fort Portal town in Uganda. Long weekends can be taken to travel further afield (ie Kenya or Tanzania) or to embark on a safari or gorilla trek. If volunteers wish to volunteer over the weekends they can join local teams and visit other children’s homes (or other children helping organizations) to spend time simply playing with and entertaining the children.
Sunday is a rest and church day in Uganda. If volunteers wish they can accompany their host family to their local church. Even if volunteers do not prescribe to the religion of the host family, it is recommended that volunteers attend at least one church service with their host family as an African church service is unlike anything you will every experience.
Social activities (organised by partner): Well, we couldn’t really be Africa Sustainable Tourism Care Foundation without extra tourism adventure could we?! As part of your experience, in the majority of our longer term projects, we give you the chance to take part in a range of different adventure activities.
Uganda is a large and extremely diverse country in terms of both culture and nature. For three days you can undertake a safari that ushers you in the vast Bwindi Impenetrable National for Gorilla Trekking or the Murchison Falls National Park for Uganda Wildlife Tour or the famous Queen Elizabeth National Park for Uganda Bird Watching, or the Kibale National Park for Uganda Chimpanzee Trekking. You can also take a journey for Cultural Tour from Central to Eastern Uganda, to tour Kampala the Capital City of Uganda, Buganda and Busoga Kingdom, or to Western Uganda, to tour Bunyoro, Toro and Ankole royal monarchy, tradition and culture. The adventures will provide you with a break from your project, a chance to see your host country from a different perspective, and time to maybe live out a few dreams
Africa Sustainable Tourism Care Foundation (ASTCF) respects that each person is unique, and thus has different needs, and we endeavor to meet those genuine needs as effectively as we possibly can. All volunteers are supported by ASTCF every step of the way. You will be allocated a line manager to assist you in the day to day aspects of your adventure and staff at ASTCF’s main base who will be available 24/7 for any out of hours emergencies. All staff involved in supporting you, work together to provide coordinated, personal and professional support throughout your adventure. We take time to listen to each individual, to question where appropriate, and to guide when asked. We have vast experience in pastoral care for all ages, and in varied settings. Should a situation arise which is beyond our experience and knowledge, we will always seek professional assistance from outside agencies with whom we maintain a close relationship in order to ensure the individual's involved are supported effectively.
WIFI internet access is available at the volunteer’s guest house at a weekly fee of 20euros per person. The fee should be paid by the volunteer to the ASTCF administration on arrival or during the orientation.
Other relevant information:
Africa Sustainable Tourism Care Foundation volunteers come from a variety of backgrounds, with democratic structures that allow for active involvement of volunteers of all national, religious, cultural, social, economic and other backgrounds and of all ages. The minimum age for volunteers applying is 18, there is no real upper age-limit, and to us motivation is far more important than the age bracket you fit into. So, if someone has a heart to serve, time to give and a desire to help others, then they can apply!
After an extensive consultation and presentation of the first suitable projects, we will conclude a written agreement. In order to have planning security for all stakeholders.
Presentation of Volunteer Profile to Project Partner
If the project partner decides for you, he documents this on the so-called Confirmation of Assignment (COA).
This is an indication for us that the pure mediation process is completed here and we can start with the preparation.
You will be prepared individually according to your previous knowledge.
At regular intervals, we as well as the project partners expect a short documentation of your project results and progress.
At the end of the project a feedback round takes place and the project work will be evaluated together with all participants.
Qualified Reference Letter
Qualified Letter of Reference
After successful implementation of the project, you will receive a qualified letter of reference.
Do you think that this project perfectly fits you?
In that case we welcome your resume and motivation letter in English. Please mention the assignment title and its VJD-No. as reference. We will of course ensure complete confidentiality and discretion while processing your inquiry.
Save you favorite projects on your wishlist
- Keep interesting projects always in sight - even mobile!
- Save and manage search agents
- Free and easy: only your e-mail and password are needed
Your personal data will be protected
We guarantee the maximum protection of your personal data and do not pass it on to third parties.